A vape pen has killed a man by exploding and hurling fragments into his head and starting a fire that burned most of his body.
Tallmadge D’Elia, 38, was smoking the electronic cigarette on 5 May when it blasted apart, according to a post-mortem report.
He was found inside his burning Florida home by firefighters, the Tampa Bay Times reported.
The damage to his home in St Petersburg was concentrated in his bedroom, where the burns were “extensive” – but there was minimal smoke.
Mr D’Elia’s body was found in the bedroom.
The report by the Pinellas-Pasco medical examiner said the explosion sent two pieces of the vape pen into his skull and they listed the cause of death as “projectile wound of the head”.
It also noted that he suffered burns on about 80% of his body.
The medical examiner ruled that the death was an accident.
A report by the US Fire Administration said more than 195 electronic cigarettes exploded or caught fire between 2009 and 2016.
No fatalities were listed for that period but there were 133 injuries and 38 of those were severe.
(c) Sky News 2018: Florida man killed and burned by exploding vape pen