Prince Philip ‘exchanges well-wishes’ with crash victims after hospital all-clear

0
48

The Duke of Edinburgh has “exchanged well-wishes” with the other people involved in his car crash near Sandringham Estate, Buckingham Palace says.

A palace spokeswoman confirmed he had been in contact with the occupants of the Kia involved in the collision – two women who were injured, and a baby.

Prince Philip – whose Land Rover overturned in the accident – visited hospital on Friday morning on doctor’s advice but has “no injuries of concern”, she added.

The spokeswoman said on Friday: “On doctor’s advice, the Duke of Edinburgh visited the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn this morning for a precautionary check-up.

“This confirmed His Royal Highness had no injuries of concern. The Duke has returned to Sandringham.

“Contact has been made privately with the passengers in the other car and well-wishes exchanged.”

The 97-year-old duke was lifted out of his Land Rover after a “horrendous” crash just before 3pm on Thursday.

Roy Warne said he had some of the royal’s blood on his hands after helping free Philip from the wreckage.

Norfolk Police – which is investigating the crash – said the driver of the Kia, a 28-year-old woman, suffered cuts to her knee while her passenger, a 45-year-old woman, sustained a broken wrist.

A nine-month-old baby boy was also in the car but was uninjured, police said.

Mr Warne, 75, told how Philip was “shaken up” and was “asking if anyone was hurt” after the crash on the junction of the B1349 and the A149.

“He didn’t seem to be in pain, I think he was pretty clearly concerned and very shocked in the circumstances,” Mr Warne said.

“It was a horrendous accident, it’s just amazing that nobody was seriously injured.”

The duke spoke with Mr Warne’s wife and asked if anyone was hurt in the crash.

He continued: “He’s a very old man and he was obviously very shaken up.”

Both injured women were treated at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn and were discharged on Thursday night.

A replacement Land Rover was pictured being delivered to Sandringham on Friday.

It is believed to be the same car that the duke has been seen driving near to Balmoral.

Norfolk Council has said a 50mph speed limit will now be imposed on the A149 and speed cameras will be installed.

There were 40 accidents in the area, including five fatalities, between May 2012 and May 2018.

Nick Freeman, the lawyer dubbed Mr Loophole for helping celebrities accused of speeding offences, has said the duke could be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention if he was deemed to have made a mistake.

But he added: “If the sun was so low and right in your eyes, sometimes it’s impossible to see, and that may well have been the case and that would afford him a defence.”

Prime Minister Theresa May has sent a private message to Philip wishing him well.

(c) Sky News 2019: Prince Philip ‘exchanges well-wishes’ with crash victims after hospital all-clear

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.